Tuition fees for international students in Australia start at around $20,000 (Australian dollars) per year of study. The average fee is over $30,000.
- Australian universities charge tuition fees based on the number of units you take.
- The annual fee for a course is the cost of 2 semesters of full-time study (8 units).
- While a full year is normally 2 semesters, you can may be able to do 3 semesters by studying during the Australian summer (Dec-Feb).
Degrees in Australia are shorter than in some other countries, reducing the overall cost.
- A bachelor degree is 3 years of full-time study (24 units).
- A professional (or honours) degree is 4 years (32 units).
- Masters degrees are typically 1.5 years (12 units).
Australian universities offer few scholarships for international students. To pay for your studies, you can work part-time (and Australia has a high minimum wage).
Bachelor Degree (Undergraduate) Fees
You’re an international student if you are:
- intending to study on a student visa, or
- not a citizen of Australia or New Zealand, or
- not an Australian permanent resident, or
- a temporary resident (visa status) of Australia.
You’re a domestic student if you are:
- a citizen of Australia or New Zealand, or
- an Australian permanent resident, or
- a holder of an Australian permanent humanitarian visa.
Masters (Postgraduate) Tuition Fees
Tuition fees are indicative annual (2-semester) fees obtained from university websites. Where multiple prices were listed, the figures are for low-cost study options or popular course types.
- Business is Bachelor of Business (or Bachelor of Commerce) and Master of Business Administration (MBA).
- Engineering is Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) and Master of Engineering. Fees for civil (or mechanical) engineering were used where fees vary by specialisation. Tuition fees for science degrees were used for universities offering science but not engineering.
- Arts is Bachelor of Arts (or Bachelor of Communication, or Bachelor of Social Science). Where fees vary by major, low-cost majors were used (such as creative writing or history).